I’m Speaking: WordCamp Orange County 2013
WordCamp Orange County is organized by some of the most respected members in the WordPress community. Orange County is another SoCal hotbed of WordPress programmers, designers and users. They meet regularly and have an awesome Facebook Group. When I submitted my speaker application on “WordPress Optimization for Speed” I didn’t think I would get chosen due to all the talent around the area… but I did! Now I am very excited to be able to share my knowledge and help people speed up their interwebs.
I recently did a similar talk at MediaTemple two months ago that was a nice intro into the world of speaking. Since I’m a freelance programmer, I’m regularly tucked away programming by myself. To say the least, I had to shake off some speakers rust. It went well and I learned a lot more about how to give a compelling and informative presentation. I’m really looking forward to showing off some great plugins and strategies to speed up WordPress websites. Nobody wants a slow website!
Additional Speakers and Highlights
This year the list is full of awesome speakers. Some highlights include:
- Alex Vasquez – I had a chance to meet and talk with Alex during this year’s WordCamp San Diego and he’s a great guy and knows his WordPress. I’m looking forward to seeing him speak!
- Blair Williams – Likely, you have heard or used one of Blair’s plugins. Pretty Link Pro and MemberPress are two very popular plugins. This guy knows his stuff so pay attention!
- Brad Williams – Another WordPress rockstar, Brad has developed some really awesome plugins. He’s perhaps best known as the co-author of the book Professional WordPress and Professional WordPress Plugin Development.
- Chris Ford – Chris is a regular at WordPress Meetups in the Southern California lady. We have had the chance to meet a number of times and both did a lightning round presentation at WordCamp San Diego. She is a great designer with an eye for the web.
- Chris Lema – All I can say is that I’m glad I don’t have to follow Chris’ presentation. He is one of the best speakers I have seen at any WordCamp or Meetup. This guy knows his stuff. His blog is a thing of legend and everyone jokes that he must have a clone because of his productivity but I’m starting to think it’s for real. Don’t miss this presentation!
- Dre Armeda – Have you heard of Sucuri? They are WordPress’ most recognized and respected WordPress security provider. He’s a top dog there and really knows his website security. I’ve had the chance to see him speak a number of times and it’s always good. Whether he’s hacking a website or talking business, Dre knows how to put on a good show.
- Karim Marucchi – This guy is smart. Really smart. When he talks, you listen. During the WC San Diego’s Business Track he was very informative and had a boatload of information to share. Get ready to take notes, I’m sure there will be lot of awesomeness coming from Karim.
- Lucy Beer – She has more than a cool acccent. She’s a WordPress-savvy nerd and will turn you into one too! I’ve had the chance to be on the WPwatercooler with her and gave seen first hand why she’s considered a WordPress expert.
- Mike Schroder – A core contributor, DreamHost employee and regular WordCamp speaker and attendee. I have seen Mike speak several times and he clearly knows WordPress inside and out.
- Steve Zehngut As head of Zeek Interactive, Steve knows his WordPress. He’s an awesome speaker (right up there with Chris Lema) and clearly knows both the business and development side of WordPress. When I grow up I want to be Steve.
- Suzette Franck – Suzette is the WordPress Evangelist at (mt) Media Temple, where she educates and advocates for WordPress and the WordPress Community. She is a regular WordCamp speaker and someone I consider to be my friend. Whether it’s the new Twenty Thirteen theme or CSS3 awesomeness, you do not want to miss her presentation.
- Syed Balkhi – Ever hear of WPbeginner? Most likely, if you’ve been around WordPress for more than a bit you have. His site has exploded in popularity and I’m very happy to get to meet him. He created one of the most valuable resources for WordPress in WPbeginner and continues to improve the site everyday.
More Speakers – Just because they’re not on the list above doesn’t mean they aren’t as awesome! I just haven’t met them yet!
- Natalie MacLees – Her presentation at WordCamp San Diego 2013 “Adding jQuery Magic to WordPress Themes” was rockstar.
- Taylor Lovett – He works at 10up and has a plugin on WordPress VIP. ‘Nuff said.
- Lizelle Brandt – Blogger at ESPN. I like sports. This should be good.
- John Hawkins – Incredibly nice guy and a WordPress rockstar who puts on WordCamp Las Vegas.
- David Henzel – He works at MaxCDN and helps make the web faster. I already like him!
- Ben Lobaugh – He’s been around WordPress for a long time and has been very influencial in the Seattle WordPress community.
Get Ready: June 1st and 2nd 2013
Put the dates on your calendar and book your flights! WordCamp OC 2013 promises to be one of the best yet. For more information about the event, venue and speakers visit the website: WordCamp Orange County 2013